There is all kinds of fear and false information out there on the internet that people buy into. But let me assure you using Silver long term is safe.
See it as a natural mineral suspended in water that helps the body fight off disease. Colloidal silver is recognized to be a powerful, natural substance that has antibiotic-like properties and is a preventative against infections. Acting as a catalyst, it is reported to disable the enzyme that one-celled bacteria, viruses and fungi need for their oxygen metabolism. They suffocate without harm occurring to the host body. There is not issue with long term use in pets or people. It is a safe, natural alternative to other types of antimicrobials.
The result is the destruction of disease-causing organisms in the body and in the food. Unlike conventional pharmaceutical antibiotics, which destroy beneficial enzymes and ‘friendly’ bacteria, colloidal silver leaves these intact, as they are fundamentally different from destructive pathogens. Thus colloidal silver is absolutely safe for pets, reptiles, plants and all multi-celled living matter. Early research showed that Colloidal silver was in common use until 1938. Many remember their grandparents putting silver dollars in milk to prolong its freshness at room temperature. At the turn of the century, scientists had discovered that the body's most important fluids are colloidal in nature: suspended ultra-fine particles. Blood, for example, carries nutrition in a colloidal state to the body’s cells. This led to studies with colloidal silver. Prior to 1938, colloidal silver was used by physicians as a mainstream antibiotic treatment and was considered quite "high-tech." Production methods, however, were costly. As the pharmaceutical industry developed, it caused colloidal research to be set aside in favor of fast working and financially lucrative drugs.
Contemporary Studies While studying regeneration of limbs, spinal cords and organs in the late 1970s, Robert O. Becker, M.D., author of The Body Electric, discovered that silver ions promote bone growth and kill surrounding bacteria. The March 1978 issue of Science Digest, in an article, "Our Mightiest Germ Fighter," reported: "Thanks to eye-opening research, silver is emerging as a wonder of modern medicine. An antibiotic kills perhaps a half-dozen different disease organisms, but silver kills many hundreds. Resistant bacterial strains fail to develop.
Moreover, silver is virtually non-toxic." The article ended with a quote by Dr. Harry Margraf, a biochemist and pioneering silver researcher who worked with the late Carl Moyer, M.D., chairman of Washington University's Department of Surgery in the 1970s: "Silver is the best all-around germ fighter we have."
Suggested Dosage for animals:
The dosage rates outlined below are given as a general guide, due to the individuality of the animal and the condition you wish to resolve. Ultimately the response in your animal will be your best guide. Because Colloidal Silver is non-toxic, when in doubt, it is better to err on the generous side, except in the case of aquatic animals (fish, snails, crabs, etc.). In that case, one teaspoon per 15 gallons should be used
Small (5 lbs or less): 1/2 tsp twice a day
Medium (5-10 lbs): 1 tsp twice a day
Large (10-25 lbs): 1 or 2 tsp twice a day
Ailing - Therapeutic Dose: ( More can be given depending on the condition)
Small: 2 tsp 3-4 times a day
Medium: 1 tbsp 3-4 times a day
Large: 2-3 tbsp 3-4 times a day
Take a look at the many different and varied uses for Colloidal Silver in everyday pet/animal health and hygiene:
- Spray pet bedding and let dry to sanitize and fight odors
- Dab on cuts, scrapes, rashes.
- Add some to your pet's drinking water, birdbaths and cut flower vases. Helps reduce tooth decay, mouth sores, gum disease and bad breath.
- Colloidal Silver is believed to work by eliminating bacteria deep in the throat and on the back of the tongue.
- Add to pet shampoos to gain disinfectant benefits
- Spray on rubbish to prevent decay odors
- Aids recovery from colds, flu, pneumonia, respiratory infections and viruses
- Use with cotton buds on fingernail, toenail, and ear fungi
- Spray plant foliage to help prevent plant diseases like mould and rot
- Eye Infection – Spray some CS in the eyes every couple of hours until infection is gone (usually 1 to 3 days)
- Ear infection - Use 1/4 – 1/2 tsp or more in the ear 2 or 3 times per day until recovered
- Cuts, scrapes, mild burns, and abrasions - Apply directly to affected area several times a day.
- Can also be used as a treatment for fish, amphibians and reptiles.
Kills bacteria, germs, and viral infections, both within and on the pets, but also within the water environment, including fungus. Because CS is entirely non-toxic, it can be used for long, extended periods without any danger. Except for aquatic life or ruminants, CS can be ingested freely without any possibility of overdose.